Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Unit Studies

Wow, I can't believe it's been a week I since posted something here.  We've been busy. 

DD has been doing a Middle Ages Unit Study by hip2homeschool and we have really enjoyed it.  She is ending the unit by putting on a Medieval Feast for our little family.  She has been researching and crafting.  She is making lots of crafts to go with our feast.  She has learned so much.

DS just finished studying the Middle Ages as well and it was really great having them in the same time period.  He has his own curriculum but we included him in a lot of what we did with DD and think it really enriched things for both of them.  I felt the need to add a little more for both so we read a history book together and it was so interesting to hear them both add in what they had learned or to explain what was going on in our reading.    It was so fun to hear that they were actually learning and understanding and retaining.

Next we will try to find a unit study to go with DS's curriculum for the renaissance.  I'm looking at a couple of different ones.  One is The Renaisance by Hands of a Child.  I'm really leaning toward this one.  I also need to look for one on the Reformation.  I've found one that I think might work for us but we'll see.

I'm also looking at some units for Science.  I don't really like to do 2 units at once but Science has been being neglected by DD and it's her favorite subject so... we'll have to do 2. 

She really enjoys unit studies and so do I. They work so well for us.  I wish there were more fun unit studies for high schoolers.  Supposedly the curriculum we are using is made up of "unit studies" but they are definitely not fun nor do they have much outside the text to do.  We really do better with units that's why I've been trying to keep DD in the same time period as DS so that we can include him.  It makes his more interesting this way.

No comments: