Thursday, January 28, 2010

Humility


I think I need to have a few lessons or even a full study on humility for my family.  Yes, there is one that needs it more than others but it would be a good lesson for all of us.

Last night I spent about an hour scouring the internet for lessons, plans, or curriculum on humility.  There is very little out there.   There are books for young children, too young for mine. There are books for parents. I want more than just a book directed at me, the parent, telling me what it is and how we show it.  To lead by example.  Sometimes, you just need more.

Finally, this morning, I found a couple of books that look promising.  There is a curriculum called "Choosing Humility" and I may just use it.  I don't know.  I don't want to humiliate the one that needs this the most by doing this so we may do a different character trait first and just say we are doing a series.  I don't know.  Does anyone out there have any ideas?  Please share if you do!

Do Hard Things: A Teenage Rebellion Against Low ExpectationsIn my searching I found another interesting book that I think we will read.  I know it is probably just for the teens but I think I want to read it too.  I like to know what my kids are reading and be there while they are reading it for questions, comments, to interject my thoughts and so on.  I think I'll make it a family thing.  DS is 15 and he fits perfectly in to this age bracket.  DD is only 10 but I think it will be good for her too.  Oh! Sorry, I haven't told you the name yet.  It's called, "Do Hard Things"  It sounds very interesting.  I ordered it today so I hope it is good.  Anyone out there read it?  Let me know what you think!

2 comments:

Rebecca D said...

We used "Choosing Humility" a little over a year ago. I found it at a used book sale (new though) and used it as a "filler"... That is what I intended, but we all learned a lot from it. (Especially myself..) I have ordered others in the series, but we haven't started them yet.

Sherri Williams said...

Good to hear from someone who has used it. Do think it is good as a stand alone?