Tuesday, August 10, 2010

First couple of days

Ok, I promised to be back and so here I am!  This year is kind of a busy one. 

DS is taking his English at the local community college.  He is taking Trigonometry this first semester using Life of Fred. 

For social studies he is doing American and World History to include a lot of literature but it's not here yet so for now we are doing an Elections Unit Study and will continue to incorporate American Government in all year. 

He is also taking French this year.  He did a little with it last year but this year we have Rosetta Stone and he is really enjoying it.  I have to make him stop each day and move on to the next subject. 

Chemistry is his science course this year. His course will include a lab as well.  We'll get some of the labs online and I got a neat flash drive from a Chemistry teacher with lots of lecture notes, labs, worksheets, tests and so on.  You check out this guy's website if you are looking at Chemistry. Cavalcade o'Chemistry

DS is also taking music through piano lessons and he will be giving guitar lessons as well.  He has two students so far.  He is also hoping to work at the community theater some this year.  He will at least be auditioning for a few plays. 

I am trying to get some information on a co-op in the area that has art and P.E.  I requested information several days ago but haven't heard back on anything yet so we'll see.

DD is doing Decimals and Percents with Life of Fred this year.  We are discovering that she needs some review from last year so we need to work that in the next week or so.

She wants to do lots of unit studies this year, I think I mentioned this before.  She wants to study Japan, WWII, Ireland, Switzerland and more.  So those will cover social studies and we'll incorporate her language arts with that.  She is also participating in the Elections Unit for now.

For science we bought a book about nature and animals and so on and so forth.  We'll be making it a Life Science class.  So far she is having a blast with it.  She made a nature bowl (I don't have room for a table so we just decided to put what she finds in a little dish.) yesterday.  Then today she researched the trees we have in our yard and identified them and then did leaf rubbings. 

She is also taking piano lessons for her music and will be singing in the youth choir at church as well (so is DS).  They will both be helping out with the younger choirs too. 

She of course will be continuing with Ballet for her P.E.  She is moving up to the Pre-pointe class.  She is very excited.  I just hope they don't put her in the pointe shoes too. 

As I said before I'm looking into a co-op for more art and p.e.  So... we have a busy year ahead of us.  I hope there is lots of fun involved and that kids have a great time learning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great year. If I had to do it over I would homeschool. I feel with no child left behind no child gets ahead. This is one of the main reasons sis is going to private school this year that has a sliding curriculum. She will go to the highschool for some classes and then back to the middle school for others. G will continue on as a junior but will dual enroll his senior year at the high school. I admire your endeavors. Have a wonderful school year. Bonnie

Sherri Williams said...

Thanks, Bonnie. I totally agree about the "no child left behind". It's really shame. I know there were good intentions there but... I know you are kids are doing great! Your family is so awesome all by itself, that I'm sure they get a great education from you guys!

Thanks for dropping by!