Monday, August 18, 2008

Love it!

DD is having a blast with her school this year. Yes, I know we are only a week into it but so far so good. I'm even finding her doing some "learning" without knowing it. She thinks it's just a game or is just goofing off.

Oak Meadow is... hmm how shall I say it... laid back? Not quite but it will work. There are lots of games for her to incorporate into her learning and she loves reading out loud to me each day. She's still not fond of her math but it's not as overwhelming and she is doing it well.

We are having wonderful time with this curriculum. She is thoroughly enjoying the art and music part of it. She so looks forward to it.

Don't get me wrong. Last night when I said that we would be getting back to our school work today, she said, "Oh, I was hoping you'd forget!"

But then this morning without even knowing she started her lessons right away. I had some cards with words on them sitting on the table and while I was preparing breakfast, she said, "I think I'll make some sentences with these cards." It is so fun to see learning happening so naturally.

DS on the other hand is so much more independent. Maybe even a little too much so. I think he is enjoying it though. Of course he would never say that. He is actually doing 2 lessons in his Geometry today! We've had a little skirmish today but it's not really anything. I just worry that he might not be doing quite enough each day. The lay out of TRISMS is so different and like I said he's so independent about it. I need to trust him and just let it happen and then at the end of the first unit (2 weeks) if he's not done he'll have learned a lesson in time management. Mom probably just needs to relax and give him a good chance. It's so hard!!! Hmmm.... sounds like Mom is maybe a control freak..... shhhhh don't tell anyone!

No comments: