Thursday, March 22, 2007

Question....

Okay, first let me say this. We do not homeschool for religious reasons. That actually had nothing to do with why we homeschool. I originally thought about homeschool because I worried about negative influences, bullying, drugs, violence and because I wasn't ready to let go, but I did.

When we finally started homeschooling 6 or 7 years later, it was because something terrible happened to my son at school. We don't know what, he still won't talk to us about it, but it was bad enough that when you mention him going to that school for just a few hours for a test, he has a panic attack. So we pulled him out and now DD has joined us and it's wonderful.

Don't get me wrong, our religion and beliefs are often brought up in our homeschooling but that was not the "purpose". I love that as we read ancient history, the kids will say, "Hey! That's in the Bible!" or "Hey! We have a story like that in our Bible!" when we are talking about other people's legends or myths. They probably would have noticed this in public school too but wouldn't have had a Bible handy to go and find it and reread it there too. I think that is very neat. And of course our values are always being covered one way or another but they were before we started homeschooling.

So it does influence our homeschooling a lot but that's not "WHY" we started and it's "WHY" we continue either. It's an added bonus.

That being said, has anyone tried the Heart of Wisdom Teaching Approach? I'm very curious about it. I wish I could check out the book from the library but they don't have it. Anyone want to loan me theirs??? ;o)

My only thing is that I want the kids to get to see all sides of things and issues. Yes, I will show them evolution and they already know what the Bible says too. I want them to be exposed to it and other things too so that they can be educated enough to make their own conclusions based on the Bible, science, history, and all of it.

So that being said, I can't decide if the Heart of Wisdom is for me. But it seems very interesting and seems to be a wonderful way to teach. So... has anyone tried it? Is anyone using it? What can you tell me about it? What do you think?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can read a 70 page excerpt from homeschool-books.com Also ask your library to carry it and they usually will. Amazon reviewers rave about it.

Sherri Williams said...

Thank you.

Celestial Earth Woman said...

I absolutely LOVE the book.
We have gleaned quite a bit of understanding about the why and how of educating our children according to the Bible.
13 years ago, we decided we were hsing for safety reasons before we knew what the Bible said. (our oldest was only 3!!)
Anyway, in listening to and reading a lot of resources and also searching the Bible and seeking what God's heart really is for his people, we have been homeschooling as a biblical mandate for several years now. Our oldest is 17.
Robin is a wonderful lady. I am on the Yahoo HOW group. If you are interested in finding out about it, maybe you should join that and get the digests and see what others think.

Be Blessed in your home Teaching!
-Jacque
www.homeschoolblogger.com/JacqueDixonSoulRestES/
I have a few posts about the HOW Approach on there.