Thursday, June 28, 2007

Busyness

I read a devotional about this this morning. It was called Busy, Busy, Busy and it made me think of several my friends. Lately I've been hearing a lot of them talk about how busy they are and how tired and even sad it makes them. They are rushing their children here and there trying to keep them active.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against this at all if it's what you want great, but I have to say, it's not for us. My kids don't like being too busy or having things to do all the time. They like having home time~ family time. The friends I'm thinking of don't homeschool so they also have to contend with school and homework on top of the extra. They tell me how nice it must be to not be so busy but they don't want to let go of anything. They are tired and burned out. I feel bad for them.

But I even see lots of homeschoolers in this same predicament. Sometimes it's even worse for them because they feel like they have to make up for NOT being in a "real" school so they are constantly running to this homeschool group or that or this lesson or that and so on and so on.

I have to say that I love how simple our life is. We don't keep our kids from joining things but our kids don't want to join EVERYTHING either. They enjoy being at home. I guess what I'm saying is you can do TOO much, and it's a lot of pressure on everyone, the whole family. We enjoy a slow life and I like it.

1 comment:

Lowa said...

It's also not healthy to do too much. Kids need to be kids and relax and just let their minds rest. Kids today are too stressed.

When we were kids, we didn't have all these activities. We just played in the dirt with sticks and we turned out ok!

We limit our kids' activities. OUr daughter is the one who wants to do everything. Dance, swimming, gymnastics, figure skating, irish dance, horse-back riding, soccer, art class, etc. She does two at a time and then switches. After a break first!

I agree with you. Staying home is awesome. People in my Homeschooling group are running from field trip to class to field trip. I home school because I wanted to do just that. HOME school:)